Rebuild after fire damage

24 February 2016 1980 Mk2 Ford Escort Ghia 487

The car was left for a couple of weeks feeling sorry for itself and me thinking of finishing for the year. The feeling of sickness inside had to stop. So, with two weeks to go for Round 5 meant a rapid plan had to be made in order to determine what was the minimum of items required to get the car ready to race.

The first picture is all the items removed that had fire damage - a big pile. Everything was stripped back, new battery leads made, new battery and connectors purchased and installed. New kill switch was purchased and installed for some added protection. New throttle cable, silicon hoses and fuel hose installed. New high torque starter motor fitted. A Lifeline 2000 plumbed in fire extinquisher purchased and installed. TRS tow loop added and a bonnet and lots of other bits sourced from The Escort Agency (thank you Martin).

A full on couple of weekends work, car loaded on trailer and last photo shows we made Round 5 at Shakespeare County Raceway. No one thought we would make it (even me) but we did and finished all 7 rounds with the last one getting into the 15s. A positive end to the years racing.